So, I read about the All Hallows Writing Challenge at the Life and Other Disasters blog, and I had to try it. I love “interviewing” my characters as I develop a story. This exercise, however, centers on Halloween, and it concerns more than one character. Perfect timing for my newest novel, Midnight Bites. Much is written, but something was missing. This exercise helped me figure out what these characters are up to and why they didn’t want to be on the pages I am writing.
Description of story:
Midnight Bites: Some crimes are unforgivable. This time the unHumans of Austin are working with humans. CC is leading the hunt. As if she isn’t busy enough hunting a murderous monster, her lover is having issues adjusting to life as a Werewolf. She wants to take care of him, but he’s pushing her away despite almost killing her. How can she keep the local vampires in line, help her lover, and catch the monster? It’s going to be rough Halloween.
Answer the following questions. Don’t use the same character for more than three answers.
- It’s Halloween night! What’s your protagonist dressed up as?
Celeste dresses as a sexy vampire. Imagine her surprise when her escort turns out to be a vampire.
2. Who in your cast refuses to dress up and shows up at the Halloween party without a costume?
Marcus is too serious to play childish games, and nights are dangerous. His sister, Celeste, needs to learn this. When he sees her costume, he’s telling mom. She’ll be grounded, for sure.
3. Which character wears the most outrageous costume, and what would it be?
I’m thinking one of Celeste’s new friends. She doesn’t have a name yet. Once she does, I’ll know what she wears.
4. On Halloween, werewolves, vampires and zombies are on the prowl. Which of your characters get caught in their clutches, and which creature do they subsequently turn into?
Marcus runs into a werewolf. And it will be a good thing. If not for the werewolf, Marcus could end up a victim of his own fears.
5. Who wins the contest for best costume?
This one is easy. Tommy wins. He came dressed as a vampire. That he is a vampire is not a joke lost on him.
6. Who hands out toothbrushes to the trick or treaters?
Tom and Jane, the accountant neighbors of CC.
7. Which two of your characters pair up and do an angel/devil costume together?
Florence and Max. It’s Florence’s idea, and she intented to be the devil, but Max always gets his way.
8. Someone is too scared to even attend the Halloween party. Who is it?
Jackie, mother to Celeste and Marcus. She doesn’t know Celeste is at the party or that Marcus has gone out to find her. Since the death of her youngest son, she’s very protective of her children.
9. Who overdoses on candy and gets sick?
Celeste – but as she’s a freshman at UT, it’s not candy she gets sick on.
10. Which character is most likely to put a hex/curse on someone, and who would they put it on?
Celeste may accept her destiny but her youth makes her rash. She wants revenge on the girls she thought were her new college friends. If she can find a hex, she’ll use it.
Find my books at these online booksellers: